Ah the BLT, who hasn’t heard of this sandwich staple? They’re just so awesome! Salty, smoky, crunchy and simple to make, the only thing to make them better is to take out the B and put in a T of course! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve made this tofu bacon recipe and it’s not like I was even a big fan of animal bacon but as soon as I started making this stuff my mouth pretty much did a “hell ya!” with a fist pump…or would it be tongue pump? No, wait that sounds creepy…ah, nevermind..Let’s just say it was good… and my favorite way to eat it has always been TLT style, so it only made sense for me to include it in my lunch posts.
I usually keep my TLT’s simple with a bit of mayo, lettuce and tomato but since I’m a food blogger and can’t make anything without adding something weird or fudging around with it, I added avocado! Ok, I know what you’re thinking, avocado isn’t exactly revolutionary, but hey, it’s not JUST avocado, it’s mashed avocado, with lemon juice, and mayo, and coconut bacon for lots of extra flava. Plus, this theme is about keeping it simple and this recipe is just that. I honestly wasn’t even going to post it at first because for one, there’s probably a bazillion TLT recipes out there already and two, it’s just so easy to make that I figured no one would be interested. Then I figured, to hell with that! There’s gotta be a least one person out there who’s never made one of these and I could be that one person who shows them the way to sandwich happy land.
I keep going on about how easy this sandwich is but I’ll be completely honest with you, there is a bit of planning, but it’s just a little, you can handle it, I promise. You’ve got to marinate the tofu, and you best not be skimping on that marinating time, otherwise you’ll just end up with tofu that tastes like, well, tofu and then you’ll think my recipe sucks and I’ll feel bad and nobody wins, it’ll be a whole thing. So to avoid that, marinate your tofu. After that all you have to do is fry it up and make your sandwich. You can cook them all at once just to get it out of the way or leave them in the marinade and just cook a few at a time, just don’t leave it there too long, we wouldn’t want the texture of your tofu to go all weird. Another thing, some of you may look at the coconut oil in the tofu bacon recipe and cringe a little, my only advice to you is, well, get over it because that’s what makes the recipe so awesome. Bacon has fat and although it’s much healthier, tofu bacon has fat too, so unless you want to end up with dried up pieces of tofu, please don’t skimp on the fat. Your taste buds will thank me later 😉
I’m still trying out new energy bars and this time I packed a another Raw Organic Food Bar, this time it was the Chocolate Coconut flavour. Better then the first one but still just ok, the pear on the other hand was super juicy and delicious!
Lunch Lady Tips:
- When you have some free time or a day off, prep both the coconut bacon and tofu bacon, and just store in the fridge for quick sandwich assembly.
- When you’re prepping your ingredients, place the rinsed lettuce and sliced tomatoes on a paper towel to help absorb some of the moisture.
- Pack the lettuce and tomato separately from the rest of your sandwich to prevent moisture from ruining the bread and just put it all together when you’re ready to eat.
- Pick a nice thick, grainy, crusty bread, something that can really handle all those delicious fillings.
- To save on waste, purchase a square reusable sandwich container instead of going the plastic wrap route.
A vegan twist on the classic BLT.
- In a small bowl, mash the avocado, along with the mayo, lemon juice, coconut bacon and pepper.
- Spread the avocado mixture over both pieces of toast, top one piece with tofu bacon, tomato and lettuce, seasoning each layer with salt and pepper as you go. Top with the other slice of toast. Yup, that’s it!