In case you missed yesterdays post (slackers), my Vegan Mofo theme for this year is Brown Baggin’ It: A Month of Vegan Brown Bag Lunches. You can check out my previous years Mofo posts here.
So let’s kick this mofo off with a delicious, super quick and easy sandwich! I like my super fussy, 20 ingredient sandwiches as much as the next person, but when I’m trying to slap something together before heading out the door for work, a sandwich like that just ain’t gonna happen. Enter the bagelwich. I love using bagels since they’re so much more hearty and filling then using regular bread, plus you can buy super grainy or even gluten-free ones nowadays. As for the filling, well this idea sprouted from the fact that Daiya cream cheese became available here and I just HAD to buy it. Do I usually eat cream cheese? Nope, but when a new vegan product shows up it’s like my mind shuts down and my body takes over, and my body wants whatever new product happens to show up!….it’s becoming a problem. It’s the same reason I have vegan riblets in my freezer from over a year ago when I didn’t even like riblets even before going veg.
So yeah, cream cheese, I’ve got it and I have no idea what to do with it. I started brain storming and the first thing I thought of are those dainty little sandwiches they always serve at tea parties, or I at least assume they serve at tea parties. You know those cute little cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches with the crusts cut off? Perfect, now the only thing is we don’t want dainty, we want filling, so I took some cream cheese and mixed in a bunch of shredded carrot to bulk it up and added some herbs to jazz up the flavor, then slathered it on (don’t pansy out on me now, make it thick) a toasted bagel, added some cucumber slices and voila! I hearty herby bagelwich in minutes. To round out the meal, I also packed an apple, a GoMacro Granola & Coconut bar and some hummus and carrot sticks to snack on. When it comes to packing lunch you gotta have snacks and I’m the freakin’ queen of snacks, seriously, you should see my drawer at work, there’s a bloody orchard in there.
Lunch Lady Tips:
- This sandwich is great for anyone who has the time to sit and eat, it can be a little messy with all the cream cheese, which would kind of suck for people who eat while driving or riding a bus or something. You could probably cut back on the cream cheese to make it less messy, but then you’d be missing out on all the tastiness. Make sure you pack some napkins too!
- Since cream cheese should be kept refrigerated; yes, even the vegan kind, I’d suggest storing the bagelwich in a fridge or if you don’t have access to a fridge, invest in a small cooler bag and an icepack to keep your food fresh.
- Looking at this and going “Gross! Dill!”? Feel free to play around and change up the herb combination to whatever you like best.
- Toast your bagel. While you bagel is toasting, take a small bowl and mix together all the ingredients (besides the cucumber) until well combined. Spread a layer of the cream cheese mixture on both bagel halves, top one side with cucumber slices, and top with other bagel half.
HERBED CREAM CHEESE BAGELWICH
– 1 bagel
– 1/4 cup shredded carrot
– 3 tablespoons non-dairy cream cheese
– 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
– 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
– 1/2 teaspoon chives
– Salt and pepper, to taste
– 5 or 6 slices of cucumber