After I had made all that cherry compote my original instinct was to make muffins; that seemed pretty boring so instead I ended up making something way better then muffins! But even after the braided bread was done, I still had enough leftover to go back to my original idea. I should probably cut muffins some slack, whenever I eat muffins I tend to go with the whole-grain, low-fat, low-sugar, blah blah healthy blah , type muffins, so when I think of muffin recipes, they don’t exactly induce excitement. But sometimes you don’t want a healthy muffin, sometimes you want one of those bakery-style muffins that’s placed on a shelf next to the cookies and donuts. You know the kind, the ones that are chock full of chocolate, sugar and all that other not-so-healthy stuff, and that’s exactly what these are.
I don’t think there’s anything more perfect then chocolate with cherries (well, besides peanut butter and chocolate, but that’s a given ;)). These ooey gooey chocolatey muffins rose beautifully into big fluffy tops with a soft, almost cake like base, but that’s not even the best part. Hell, to the no. The best part is taking a big ol’ bite and getting a mouthful of that delicious cherry compote that’s been tucked inside the middle. Hot damn, now that’s a good muffin, but then I do seem to be a fan of foods that involve things stuffed inside of other things.
These are totally bake sale worthy and they make a killer breakfast, I mean they do have fruit in them, so that’s gotta count for something, right? Plus, if you bring them to work, your co-workers will bow down to you and name you the ruler of all things baked! Too much? Ok, they may not bow down to you but I’m pretty sure you’ll be one popular dude or dudette that day 🙂
CHOCOLATE CHERRY BOMB MUFFINS
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup plain non-dairy yogurt
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup non-dairy semisweet chocolate chips
- Cherry compote
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 12 muffin pan with muffin liners.
- In medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In large bowl whisk together the granulated sugar, brown sugar, yogurt, oil and vanilla until smooth. Slowly whisk in the milk. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin cups 1/2 full, making a slight well in the center of each cup. Put a rounded teaspoon of cherry compote in the center and cover with remaining batter.
- Bake for 8 minutes, turn oven down to 350 degrees F and bake for 15 to 20 minutes longer, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.