I’m counting down the minutes now until we board a plane and head back to Newfoundland for a long overdo trip. I’m hoping to do a little blogging while we’re there but the internet at my parents house is a little sketchy so I can’t make any promises. Before we go I just had to squeeze in one more awesome brunch. I didn’t want to be stuck with a bunch of leftovers so close to leaving, there’s nothing grosser then taking off for a couple weeks only to walk into your house wondering where that funky smell is coming from…seriously not pretty. This one only makes enough for two really hungry people or four not so hungry people and we happily demolished these bowls in no time 🙂
Bowls are pretty much the best meals ever, you start with a base, top with tasty things and then coat in sauce (or gravy in this case), they’re quick, easy and full of super noms. For these breakfast bowls, I wanted something really hearty and filling, plus with the next two weeks of eating being questionable, it had to be really delicious.
For the base I cooked up some simple homemade hash browns, because it just wouldn’t be right to have a breakfast bowl without potatoes, that’s just crazy talk. Then I threw a simple tofu scramble on top, and yes, I did add in a couple vegetables, maybe not a lot, but there’s a few hiding in there somewhere 😉 Then to turn this bowl into a creamy tasty mess, I smothered it all in a cheesy smokey gravy. I’m pretty sure the gravy is the best part, first it’s the fastest gravy I’ve ever made and it’s full of almonds, and who doesn’t like almonds? Then you’ve got the tasty cheesy, smokey flavor which just goes so good with the potatoes and scramble. I also threw some coconut bacon in there since I’m trying to work through the batch I made, but you can use any kind of vegan bacon you want, tempeh, tofu, seitan, you name it. Top this delicious mess off with some sliced green onion and dig in!
SMOKEY CHEESY BREAKFAST BOWL
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 russet potatoes, cut into even 1/2-inch pieces
- Salt & pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1 pkg (350 g) firm tofu, drained
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon black salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- Handful of spinach
- 1/3 cup coconut bacon or other vegan bacon
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon tahini
- 1/4 teaspoon marmite (optional)
- 1/3 cup non-dairy sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- salt and pepper
SMOKEY CHEESY ALMOND GRAVY
- For the hash browns: Put a medium sized skillet over medium heat. Add the oil, once heated add the potatoes and stir around to coat them with the oil. Season with salt and pepper, and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden brown and tender. Remove from pan and keep warm until needed.
- For the scramble: In a medium bowl, crumble together the tofu, than mix in the nutritional yeast, garlic powder, black salt, turmeric, salt and pepper. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add oil and onion. Sauté for until the onion softens, then add the tofu mixture and tomato, cook the tofu until heated through and just beginning to brown. Mix in the spinach and bacon, cook until spinach wilts. Remove from heat and keep warm until needed
- For the gravy: In a high speed blender or food processor, ground the almonds until fine, then mix in vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, tahini and marmite, blend until smooth. Heat a skillet over medium heat, add the almond/broth mixture and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, mix in sour cream and liquid smoke, season with salt and pepper. Stir until thickened.
- To serve: Divide potatoes between bowls, top with scramble and cover with gravy. Sprinkle with some chopped green onion or additional bacon if desired.