My sister and her husband just got back from Hawaii, which has got me suffering from some serious vacation envy. Looking through her pictures I’m left dreaming about warm humid breezes, perfectly clear waters to swim in and bright juicy tropical fruits! Oh the fruit, how I miss it! On the (very) bright side, Philip and I hit up the farmers market this weekend to see if they had any local goods and I just so happen to stumble across some very non-local mangos, but unlike the flavourless/chalky mangoes I usually find at the grocery store, these were good! Like really good! Like I’m going to hide these in the back of the pantry so that no one else can eat them good!
To eat my precious mango (yup, I’m totally going all Gollum on these things) I wanted to add something special to it and turn it into one hellofa tasty breakfast. I’m all for the leaning over the sink and slurping method (and yes I’ve already done that) but the remaining mangoes needed something added that was worthy of it’s tropical goodness. Something crunchy, something sweet, something choke full of coconut, only granola would do!
I love granola so hard! It’s quick, dirty and cheap…ok, maybe not so much dirty but it just felt right throwing that in there 😉 It’s my favourite snack food, so much so that I try not to make too often otherwise I’ll make myself sick from eating so much…yes, when it comes to this stuff I’m pretty much like a 9 year old with Halloween loot.
I know it was only a few months ago where I professed my love for my Gingerbread Granola and although it still rates high on my favourite snack food list, this tropical granola is definitely giving it a run for its money. All that coconut, pineapple, banana, mango and papaya! It’s like crazy delicious flavour with every bite. Plus I added a whole bunch of crunchy macadamia nuts to up the texture awesomeness. A bowl of fresh mango, coconut yogurt and some Hawaiian inspired granola, I’m straight up in tropical heaven. Maybe I should get vacation envy more often 😉
HAWAIIAN SUNSHINE GRANOLA
- 3 cups gluten-free or regular rolled oats
- 1 cup raw macadamia nuts
- 1 1/2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/3 cup mashed banana
- 2 tablespoons orange or pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup banana chips
- 1/4 cup dried mango, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup dried papaya, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup dried pineapple, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts and coconut.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the brown rice syrup, mashed banana, juice, vanilla, salt coconut oil and vanilla until everything is well combined.
- Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry and mix until all the dry ingredients have been completely coated. Pour mixture onto a large sheet pan lined with parchment paper or silicon mat and bake for 45-50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to achieve an even color.
- Remove from oven and transfer into a large bowl. Add banana chips, mango, papaya and pineapple then mix until evenly distributed.
- Let cool completely before transferring to a container.