Hope you all had a fantastic Mother’s Day weekend and treated your mother’s right, or were treated right if you are a mother. My mom is currently one province away, so I wasn’t able to treat her to a fabulous brunch, but I decided to have one in her honour.
For some reason, whenever I think of fruit salad, it reminds me of my mom. Why? I’m not really sure. It could be because of all those delicious family sunday brunches we had growing up, but no matter the reason, it just didn’t seem right to honour my mom in brunch form without making a fruit salad.
Now you’re probably all like, “Boo hiss, fruit salad? Everyone knows how to make that! Boring!”
Well first of all, RUDE! And secondly, this isn’t just fruit salad, this is fruit salad with a creamy, almondy, orangey poppy seed topping. So what do you think of my fruit salad now, huh? Huh!? Yeah, I thought so. 😉
The weather here has been abnormally warm lately (thank you global warming!)*, and with the warm weather (29C today, that’s crazy talk!) comes some serious cravings for fresh summer fruits. Which kind of sucks since nothing is even close to being in season here yet, but I lucked out and found some not so local fruit at the grocery store that did the job and curbed that craving.
I haven’t played around much with cashew cream, but it seemed like an easy way to make a delicious sweet topping. I pretty much just winged it by mixing the cashews with some slivered almonds to up the almond flavor and added some orange zest and orange juice to add a tasty orange flavor to it all. The poppy seeds add a nice little crunch and make the cream just a little more purdy then it already is. I added just a little bit of coconut cream to up the creamy factor. If you’re not familiar with coconut cream, it’s the thick cream that forms at the top when you chill a can of coconut milk. I like using the tetra packs of coconut cream, since it’s easy to just keep in the fridge to use whenever you need it.
Happy Mother’s Day to my amazing mother! I hope this fruit salad does you justice 🙂
FRUIT SALAD WITH ORANGE ALMOND POPPY SEED CREAM
- 1/2 pint raspberries
- 1/2 pint blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups red or green grapes, sliced
- 1/2 pint strawberries, stemmed and quartered
- 2 cups cantaloupe, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups pineapple, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- Juice of 1 orange
- Orange Almond Poppy Seed Cream (recipe below)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 8 to 24 hours
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon agave or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons Frangelico (optional)
- 3 to 6 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons coconut cream
- Zest of 1 organic orange
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
ORANGE ALMOND POPPY SEED CREAM
- Add all fruit to a large bowl, squeeze orange juice over top and mix to combine.
- In a high powered blender or food processor, combine the cashews, almonds, extracts, agave, Frangelico and 3 tablespoons of orange juice. Blend until smooth, adding additional orange juice as needed. Blend in the coconut cream, then transfer to a small bowl. Fold in the orange zest and poppy seeds, cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Divide the salad into bowls and top with Orange Almond Poppy Seed Cream.
Submitted to Wellness Weekend