Yes, that’s right, I’ve finally resorted to eating cookies for breakfast. Don’t look at me with those judging eyes, you know you want to do the same. Now that I’m all growd up, I can do stuff like that. Cookies for breakfast, cereal for dinner, being an adult has got it’s perks. We’ll just pretend that all that working and bill paying crap doesn’t exist in this scenario, mmkay?
In my defense, they are healthier than your average cookie and I did eat them for second breakfast. Yup, I love breakfast so much that I have it twice a day. Am I the only one that eats two breakfasts? You one breakfast people are missing out. Think of all the delicious breakfast things you could be missing out on. No longer will you have to decide between sweet or savory, hot or cold, healthy or not so much, you can have it all I tell ya! You can also have these cookies……see what I did there? 😉
I’ve made these cookies numerous times now, they’re just so easy to make and have got all kinds of good stuff going on. Oats, seeds, nuts, spelt, fruit, chocolate, there’s a hell-of-a-lot going on in these cookies. They’re kind of sort of like granola bars since they’re filled with all those great things you might consider putting in a granola bar, but also, they’re nothing like granola bars… because they’re cookies, and cookies and granola bars are inherently different…don’t argue, just nod your head and go with it.
I love granola bars and all but sometimes a gal needs to switch it up from time to time. The origins of this recipe start with the Cosmic Cookies they make at Planet Organic. Or “some health food store chain” for you non-Canadians. I’ve never actually tried one of these cookies but the recipe was online, so I took it and made it healthier. That’s right, I took an already healthy cookie and made it even more healthy. No really! They actually still taste good! Because there’s also chocolate. And dates. And apricots. You know, that sweet stuff that makes things taste good. They make for a pretty tasty snack, or breakfast (first or second) and are super filling because they’re huge! Like all cookies should be 🙂
GALACTIC BREAKFAST COOKIES
- 1 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup sliced or chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup banana chips, broken into small pieces
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chunks or chips
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoons flax seed, ground
- 1 teaspoon tapioca starch
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup sucanat or cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup raisins, chopped dried figs or dates
- 1/3 cup dried apricots, cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons agave or brown rice syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- 1/2 cup non-dairy unsweetened milk
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients, everything from the oats to the apricots. In a small saucepan, combine the agave, coconut oil, almond butter and milk. Whisk over low heat, until all the ingredients are well combined. Remove from heat and allow to cool, then whisk in vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Using a 1/3 measuring cup, portion out the cookie dough and place onto the lined baking sheet. Gently flatten the cookies then bake them for 24 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool for a few minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.