Surprisingly, even with weekends off I was a little more burnt out from blogging then I thought. So with a couple weeks of doing completely fak all, I return to you with a holiday recipe! Even though most of my neighbors seem to have put their Xmas lights up the second the Halloween stuff came down (WTF?), I just want to point out that I haven’t jumped on that bandwagon. The tree, lights and Xmas music won’t be making an appearance in our house until at least December hits and mid-December at that…..but that’s not to say that the baking hasn’t started, cause really, is there anything better then Xmas baking? I think not.
When I was at the natural food store this weekend, I became strangely giddy when I was checking out the milk section and found that the holiday nog and chocolate peppermint soymilks were back in stock. Hot damn is that stuff good! As far as I know you can only get the Vitasoy holiday milks in Canada (sorry other people in the world), but if by chance if you happen to stumble across the chocolate peppermint milk, just do yourself a favor and buy it, really, don’t ask questions, just do it. The holiday nog is pretty good too, just super spicy, P wasn’t a fan when he tried it because he thought it was overwhelmingly spicy, but to that I say, more for me! So I don’t make myself sick off of holiday nog by standing in front of the fridge and chugging it straight from the carton, I tried to think of some other ways to utilize the nog. Lucky for me, I just so happen to be catching up on some blogs and spotted some inspiration over at Clockwork Lemon, that not only called for eggnog, but also cranberries, something I’ve been eating in excess lately, plus having an abundance of them in the freezer never hurts.
I doubt anyone is thinking about holiday food just yet but when you do, take these muffins into consideration, they’re perfect for a lazy morning breakfast or brunch. Sweet and spicy nog mixed with tart red cranberries all wrapped up in a fluffy muffin, such a great combo, and can we talk about the smell? The sweet, spiced aroma they make as they’re baking is incredible! Who needs scented candles when these things are in your oven. I know you’ll probably want to eat them all immediately (or is that just me?) but just so you know, they freeze pretty darn well too.
CRANBERRY HOLIDAY NOG MUFFINS
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup holiday nog (or any other vegan nog)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons turbinado
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease or line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. In a large bowl beat together the yogurt, oil and vanilla extract. Add the holiday nog and whisk to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until just combined. Fold in chopped cranberries. Divide evenly into the 12 muffin cups, and sprinkle with turbindo sugar.
- Bake for 22 to 27 minutes or until golden brown, and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for about 10 minutes, and then cool on wire wracks.