I’m going to keep this one short and sweet so that I’m not sitting in front of the computer all night rudely ignoring my mother…hey, it’s like I’m in highschool again! This is another one of those recipes that isn’t quite (or at all) Canadian but I figure since I used all local Canadian fruits and I got the recipe from Canadian Living, then it’s close enough!
This cobbler recipe makes me long for the days of summer, it’s overflowing with deliciously juicy fruit. I had had a field day at the farmers market the day I made this and I picked up a bunch of B.C. blueberries, B.C. apples and fresh Alberta rhubarb. Besides for shoving handful upon handful of fruit into my mouth, this was one of the best ways to use up all that amazing fruity goodness.
Cobblers are so easy to put together, it’s like a pie without all the fuss of making a crust! The rhubarb is slightly tart but the apple, blueberries and sugars give it the perfect level of sweetness. Topped off with a thick, fluffy biscuit like crust, the orange sugar adds a slight caramelized crunch with every flavourful bite. Plus the smell of bubbling fruit mixed with orange zest coming from your oven is pretty freakin’ amazing. I was so sad I didn’t have any coconut vanilla bean ice cream to top this with because that would have been daaaaaaamn good, but even without the ice cream this cobbler was so good it disappeared in days…or should I say day 🙂
APPLE RHUBARB BLUEBERRY COBBLER
- 4 cups fresh or frozen rhubarb, chopped
- 3 cups apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/3 cup dark agave
- 1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1-1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon full fat coconut milk
ORANGE SUGAR TOPPING
- In bowl, combine rhubarb, apples, blueberries, agave, flour, cornstarch, sugar and orange juice until well coated; scrape into greased 8-inch square baking dish. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, mix together the oil, milk, lemon juice and vanilla. Drizzle the liquid ingredients into the dry, tossing with fork to make shaggy dough. Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead 5 or 6 times until dough just comes together. Roll or gently press into 8-inch square; cut into 9 pieces. Arrange on top of fruit mixture.
- In small bowl, using your fingers, rub sugar with orange zest. Brush biscuit tops with coconut milk; sprinkle with orange sugar. Bake in 375ºF preheated oven until cobbler topping is fluffy and golden and filling is bubbly (if topping browns too quickly, cover loosely with foil), about 50 to 55 minutes. Serve warm.