You know what’s awesome? This soup is awesome. Like super amazing awesome. Sparkles and unicorns awesome. A lifetime supply of Go Max Go bars awesome. Well if you haven’t caught on, what I’m trying to say is that I really like this soup. I had a feeling it was going to turn out good but I didn’t realize I was going to like it this much.
I would never consider cauliflower as my vegetable of choice, it just always seemed kind of bland to me. It’s the kind of vegetable you eat covered in some sort of favorable sauce or dipped in something creamy. It wasn’t until I tried the roasted cauliflower recipe in Appetite for Reduction that I realized how great cauliflower can actually be. Roasting cauliflower really adds a depth a flavour that you just can’t get any other way, and that my friends, is why this soup is so awesome.
First you take all of your vegetables, chop them, and roast them all, yup, cauliflower, potatoes, onion and garlic all go in the oven. Then you let them roast until they start to caramelize and start turning that lovely brown. Then you take all those yummy veggies and simmer them in broth, blend everything together until it’s silky smooth and top it all off with a swirl of delicious curried cashew crème. Mmmmm. This soup is incredibly rich and creamy, the curried cashew crème really complements the dish and adds the perfect amount of curry flavour. If you’re thinking, ‘hmmm, maybe I’ll just make the soup and not bother with the cashew crème’, well, all I can say to that is blasphemy! Really though, don’t make one and not the other, they’re just too perfect together to not put in that little bit of extra effort.
ROASTED CAULIFLOWER SOUP WITH CURRIED CASHEW CREAM
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large yukon gold potato, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, minced, for garnish
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 1-2 hours
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk, warmed
CURRIED CASHEW CREAM
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large baking pan lined with parchment or foil, combine cauliflower, garlic, onion and potato. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes or until golden and tender, stirring once halfway through.
- Transfer roasted vegetables to a large pot. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Transfer soup to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Return soup to the pot and stir in non-dairy milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 10 minutes longer.
- While soup is simmering, prepare the curried cashew cream. In a high speed blender or food processor, process cashews to a fine paste. Add curry powder, salt and 1/2 cup milk, and blend until smooth. If you find it too thick, add in the remaining milk and blend again.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls, spoon a swirl of Curried Cashew Cream in the center of each bowl, then sprinkle with chives.
Recipe created by the incredible talented Robin Robertson