We had a bunch of people over on Canada day so I whipped up a Banana Strawberry ‘Nutella’ Tart for dessert, but when I made the tart I ended up with a whole bunch of leftover chocolate hazelnut spread, what to do, what to do, ah the tough decisions in life🙂 With spoon in hand, I made plenty o trips to the fridge and managed to put a big dent in the jar, but as I sat shovelling heaping spoonfuls into my mouth I came across a recipe for Nutella Crunch Brownies, Nutella you say? Brownies you say? Why yes please.
Chocolate Hazelnut Crunch Brownies
Adapted from Crustabakes
- 5 ounces dark chocolate (I used 70%)
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) non-dairy butter, softened
- 1/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed, ground
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup store bought or Homemade Chocolate Hazelnut Spread (peanut butter or almond butter would also be good)
- 1 Tablespoon non-dairy butter or coconut oil
- 1 3/4 cups rice cereal
Spread the cereal mixture evenly over the top of the brownies. Try to do this while it is still really warm otherwise it is a real pain in the ass to spread, seriously.
Refrigerate until set before cutting. If you’re into big gooey messes then feel free to skip this step, I’m pretty sure it’s gonna taste good either way. I put mine in the fridge and forgot about it and ended up with a big solid mass, so half an hour in the fridge is probable all you need before cutting.
These are super rich but also super awesome I might add.
Now excuse me as I fall into a sugar induced coma.