Ok, so back to that super awesome chocolate hazelnut spread. After eating countless spoonfuls and way too many chocolate hazelnut surprise muffins, I went to the fridge and was dismayed to find that a sad little amount was remaining at the bottom of the jar. What to do? What to do? As tempting as it was to destroy the last little bit by just putting it all directly in my mouth, I thought I should do something just a tad bit more interesting, and what could be more interesting then delicious cookies chock full of creamy chocolate hazelnut spread, chocolate chips and crunchy hazelnuts! I’m sure lots of things, but just humour me, ok?
I came across this recipe ages ago and stared at it longingly thinking I would never get the chance to try them, unless Nutella magically decided to get rid of that silly milk powder they have in their list of ingredients that is. Silly me. With a few adaptations I ended up with a slightly chocolaty, slightly hazelnutty, delicate yet chewy cookie with some added crunch from the hazelnuts. Although these weren’t P’s favourite (he’s more of a full on chocolate kind of guy), I think they’re pretty damn good, which just so happened to be the consensus of my coworkers as well, that container of cookies didn’t stand a chance.
CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT COOKIES
- 1/3 cup canola oil, or other light tasting oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup chocolate hazelnut spread
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 1 tablespoon Frangelico
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk or water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine oil, sugars, tapioca and milk or water, beat on high with an electric mixer for 1 minute or until mixture turns into a slight caramel texture. Add in chocolate hazelnut spread, Frangelico and vanilla and mix until ingredients are well combined and smooth.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, and mix until incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips and chopped hazelnuts.
- Using a small ice cream scoop (or 2 teaspoons), form the dough into balls and place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Slightly flatten the cookies and bake for 8-9 minutes or until set.
- Let cookies cool about 5 to 8 minutes and transfer to a rack to cool completely. These cookies are very delicate when you first take them out of the oven, so make sure they’re very cool before you attempt to move them.
And now I’m officially out of chocolate hazelnut spread, what’s a girl to do? Shed a single tear and then go make some more of course!