Until I started reading various blogs, I had no idea how many celebratory days there were surrounding food, and nope, I ain’t talking about the standard Thanksgiving or Easter fare. Pie day, pizza day, cake day, you name it, there’s a ‘day’ for just about every type of food you can think of. There’s even a world Nutella day! But of course, always late in the game I didn’t jump on the chocolate hazelnut band wagon until long after February 5th had passed. Ah well, I think I’d much have my own little celebratory moment of all things chocolate hazelnut on my own schedule and without all the non-vegan brand association.
So to celebrate today, I made muffins, but not just any muffins, chocolate hazelnut surprise muffins! These muffins are slightly delicate but rich, chocolaty and so om nom nom. The frangelico makes the muffins extra good and hazelnutty but you can leave it out if you don’t have any (although I strongly suggest you get some anyway, you know, just to avoid the wrath of the hazelnut gods). These muffins might not look like anything special, but then you bite into one and booyah! Chocolate hazelnut spread in your face! (well actually in your mouth, but you get what I’m saying). When they came out of the oven I told myself that I was only going to take a bite of one….then one bite turned into two, then two turned into the whole muffin, then one muffin turned into two muffins and…well you catch my drift. I had to get those little suckers to work before I ate the whole batch, but at least I remembered to take a couple pictures before there were only a few crumbs lingering at the bottom of the container. Of course I saved a few for P and it wasn’t long before I heard a muffled, mmmmm coming from his muffin filled mouth.
These are one hell of good breakfast treat, so go make some and have your own little chocolate hazelnut celebration.
CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT SURPRISE MUFFINS
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup non-dairy yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon hazelnut or coffee liqueur
- 1/2 cup chocolate hazelnut spread
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease a regular 12-cup muffin pan. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, flaxseed, oil, yogurt, lemon juice, water and liqueur. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix just until blended.
- Divide half the batter equally among prepared muffin cups. Spoon 2 teaspoons of the chocolate hazelnut spread in the center of each cup of batter. Top with remaining batter .
- Put muffins in the oven and decrease temperature to 350. Bake for 21 to 25 minutes or until the tops are firm. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.