With St. Patrick’s day being tomorrow I thought I’d whip up a little something something to celebrate, and what better way to celebrate then to bake with booze! I’m not big on drinking whiskey straight but I’m a big fan of pouring a little into some coffee and it’s always good in sweet stuff. I gotta admit, when it came to mixing up this cake I had to restrain myself from just eating the batter, it’s chocolatey and boozy, just how I like it. The whiskey does settle down a bit after it’s baked, but don’t for a second think that this cake doesn’t have some kick to it, it’s still the star of the show.
CHOCOLATE IRISH WHISKEY CAKE
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted (optional)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup Irish whiskey
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons strong coffee
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons Irish whiskey
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or agave
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a bundt pan with cooking spray.
- Toast walnuts in small pan, remove from heat and mix in tablespoon of brown sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine milk, oil, Irish whiskey, remaining sugars, coffee and vanilla. In a larger bowl combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and add wet, mix until there are very few lumps remaining (some are ok). Pour half the batter into prepared bundt pan then sprinkle the walnut/sugar mixture over batter:
- Cover with remaining batter:
- Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes or until the cake feels firm to the touch and has slightly pulled away from the sides of the pan
- When done place pan on rack for 10 minutes then remove cake from pan and place on rack.
- To make the ganache heat a double boiler over medium-high heat and bring the coconut milk and whiskey to a boil, lower to simmer and add the chocolate and liquid sweetener and mix till the chocolate starts to melt, remove from heat and continue to mix until smooth. Let cool slightly and drizzle over cake. Let cool and enjoy.
Happy St. Paddy’s Day!